Refinishing My Bass
So a little more than a month ago I decided that I was tired of looking at all the chips and dings in my bass guitar's finish, and that I would take it upon myself to refinish it. Notice how I said a month ago? Well it turns out, this project took a bit longer to complete than I initially thought...
I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm a horrible documenter of these types of processes... I get excited to move on to the next step in the process and forget to take a picture of the step I've just finished. This happens without fail, and I've come to just expect it. So, when you notice a step is missing, don't be surprised!
Anyway, let's dive right into it. Here's my bass before I tore it all apart:
And then after I tore it apart:
I don't have a picture of the next step, but it was pretty straight forward: I sanded down the existing finish on the bass until there was nothing but wood. Cheap, soft wood. But I bought the bass for $100 at a pawn shop, so I can't really complain too much about the quality! Anyway, once we have a wood base, all that was left to do was primer, paint, and seal! It took a few days to do all of that, because the paint dries so slow that I had to basically wait a day between coats, but that's ok because I hardly play the damn thing!
So, I know that I'm not being very verbose in this post, and there's a good reason for that: I'm too busy playing! It took me a few weeks to strip the old finish off, prime, paint the black base, spray the stencil, seal the guitar, and wet sand the stencil edges to make them even. In that time, I grew more and more impatient to get playing again, and so now that it's finally done I'm playing 24/7 to make up for lost time!
I'll leave you with these pictures of the final product, I've got more tabs to look up and more fingers to rub raw...